California Legal Specialists
Why Certify? Learn more about why to certify by watching this short video.
Why Certify? Read about one attorney's path to becoming a board certified legal specialist.
Click on this link to find the Certified Specialists celebrating an anniversary as of 2013
LEGAL SPECIALIST EXAMINATION RESULTS TO BE MAILED IN MARCH
If you took the Legal Specialist Examination on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013, the examination results will be mailed via U.S. mail to the address found on your State Bar Profile by March 15, 2014. Be sure to keep your address updated in your profile and contact member services at 1-888-800-3400 if you need assistance updating your profile. Post-Examination Applications allowing you to document experience, education and recommendations will also be released at that time. No public pass list will be posted. Results will be sent only to indiviudal applicants.
BECOMING A CERTIFIED SPECIALIST
Future Applicants: While the next Certified Legal Specialist examination will take place in October 2015, you can begin your preparation toward the other requirements by:
1. Documenting your tasks and standards
2. Register for the examination, which will be held in 2015 for all specialties
at one location in northern California and another location in southern
California. (Examination date and logistics will be posted in January
ALREADY A CERTIFIED SPECIALIST?
Update your My State Bar Profile to add your firm website, photo and languages spoken. Certified specialists are automatically listed by their specialty on the State Bar website and only certified specialists can be searched by practice area on the State Bar of California website.
Ready to Retire or Resign Your Certified Legal Specialist Status Permanently?
Please clink on this link Certified Specialist Retirement/Resignation Form, fill out the form and send it to the address indicated on the form.
Need Brochures for Your Office?
Order What Can A Certified Specialist Do for You? brochures, which include a place for you to include your own firm's business cards.
Want to be on the Radio?
Bay Area certified specialists can audition to be part of the Your Legal Rights radio call-in radio panel to appear on-air or take off-air calls. ContactLegalSpec@calbar.ca.gov if interested.
Apply to offer Legal Specialization Credits and MCLE.
Search for a list of approved educational providers in your area of certified specialty.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Read about the importance of certified specialist status to consumers and attorneys here: Q+A Legal Specialization a Boon for Consumers.
- Don't miss radio program KALW 91.7FM "Your Legal Rights," featuring certified specialists from around the state every Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. Not in San Francisco? Download the free Tune-In app for Android or Apple to listen.
- Refer a specialist. Search by county, city or ZIP code for a certified specialist in your area.
- Submit articles for the Legal Specialization Digest of up to 500 words to a href="mailto:LegalSpec@calbar.a.gov" class="brown">LegalSpec@calbar.a.gov.
Contact us at LegalSpec@calbar.ca.gov or 415-538-2120.