Legal Specialist Examination - Oct. 27, 2015
Thank you to all those who took the Legal Specialist Examination on Oct. 27, 2015! Please note the following:
- Results will be sent via U.S. mail on March 15, 2016 to the address listed on your My State Bar Profile.
- Results will not be posted electronically.
- To ensure that you receive your results and any interim notices, be sure to keep your mailing address and private e-mail address updated on your My State Bar Profile.
The next examination will take place on Oct. 24, 2017. In the meantime, you can prepare by working on the task, experience and education requirements for your specialty area.
Becoming a Board Certified Specialist
Why certify? Learn more about why to certify by watching this short video.
Read about one attorney's experience as a current board certified legal specialist.
Starting the Application Process?
Begin by marking your calendar for the legal specialist examination on Oct. 27, 2015, and work on the other requirements in the meantime. The rules and the post-examination application will help you to begin documenting the education and experience needed to complete your candidate packet. Look to the left to find your area of specialty.
Already a certified specialist?
It's time to enjoy the many benefits of being a certified specialist:
- (NEW) Recertifying? As a reminder, you will now report your legal specialist education by submitting a compliance card instead of reporting education on your recertification application. You will be due to report 36 hours of legal specialist education every 3 years, during your MCLE compliance period by submitting a legal specialization education compliance card. (Note: You must also report your MCLE compliance separately through your My State Bar Profile.)
- Congratulations to specialists who reached their 20th, 30th, or 40th anniversaries in 2015. These individuals were first certified as specialists in the years 1975, 1985 and 1995.
- Enhance your profile through My State Bar Profile to add your firm's website, photo and spoken languages. Certified Legal Specialists are automatically listed by their specialty on the State Bar website and only certified specialists can be searched by practice area on the State Bar of California website.
- Need brochures for your office? Order "What Can A Certified Specialist Do for You?" brochures, which include a place for you to include your own firm's business cards.
Want to be on the radio? California certified specialists can audition to be part of the radio call-in panel for "Your Legal Rights" to appear on-air or take off-air calls. Contact LegalSpec@calbar.ca.gov if you are interested.
- Ready to retire or resign your Certified Legal Specialist status permanently? Fill out the Certified Specialist Retirement/Resignation Form and send it to the address on the form.
For educational providers
Apply to offer Legal Specialization credits and MCLE.
Search for a list of approved educational providers in your area of certified specialty.
News you can use
Contact us at LegalSpec@calbar.ca.gov or 415-538-2120.