Education Extension Granted for Certified Specialists in Compliance Group 1
For certified specialists in Compliance Group 1-the deadline to complete and report your legal specialist education requirement and file your compliance card has been extended to June 30, 2016, if you have not done so already.
The following assistance is available to help you meet your 36 hour requirement:
- You may include courses taken from 2012-2016 extending beyond the standard three-year compliance period, for this compliance period only.
- Legal specialist education subfields are waived for this reporting cycle as a courtesy, if you are certified in an area that normally has subfield requirements.
- As always, you may include MCLE courses that are directly about the substantive area of law in which you are a certified specialist.
Please complete your education requirement, and submit a legal specialization education compliance card to us via fax at 415-538-2180 or email@example.com.
Becoming a Board Certified Specialist
Why certify? Learn more about why to certify by watching this short video.
Read about one attorney's experience as a current board certified legal specialist.
Starting the Application Process?
Begin by marking your calendar for the legal specialist examination on Oct. 24, 2017, and work on the other requirements in the meantime. The rules and the post-examination application will help you to begin documenting the education and experience needed to complete your candidate packet. Look to the left to find your area of specialty.
Already a certified specialist?
It's time to enjoy the many benefits of being a certified specialist:
- (NEW) Recertifying? As a reminder, you will now report your legal specialist education by submitting a compliance card instead of reporting education on your recertification application. You will be due to report 36 hours of legal specialist education every 3 years, during your MCLE compliance period by submitting a legal specialization education compliance card. (Note: You must also report your MCLE compliance separately through your My State Bar Profile.)
- Congratulations to specialists who reached their 20th, 30th, or 40th anniversaries in 2015. These individuals were first certified as specialists in the years 1975, 1985 and 1995.
- Enhance your profile through My State Bar Profile to add your firm's website, photo and spoken languages. Certified Legal Specialists are automatically listed by their specialty on the State Bar website and only certified specialists can be searched by practice area on the State Bar of California website.
- Need brochures for your office? Order "What Can A Certified Specialist Do for You?" brochures, which include a place for you to include your own firm's business cards.
Want to be on the radio? California certified specialists can audition to be part of the radio call-in panel for "Your Legal Rights" to appear on-air or take off-air calls. Contact LegalSpec@calbar.ca.gov if you are interested.
- Ready to retire or resign your Certified Legal Specialist status permanently? Fill out the Certified Specialist Retirement/Resignation Form and send it to the address on the form.
For educational providers
Apply to offer Legal Specialization credits and MCLE.
Search for a list of approved educational providers in your area of certified specialty.
News you can use
- For certified specialists in Compliance Group 1 - the deadline to complete and report your education has been extended to June 30, 2016. As a reminder, report your education compliance card to us.
- In accordance with Legal Specialization Rule 3.114(A)(2), adopted on Jan. 1, 2014, certified specialists report 36 hours of legal specialist education every three years, but still recertify every five years. Education is not reported on the recertification application any longer.
- Learn more about the Legal Specialization Program by reading our 29th Annual Report for Calendar 2015.
- Read about how certification may benefit you, from the perspective of a current certified specialist.
- Don't miss the radio program on KALW 91.7FM "Your Legal Rights," featuring certified specialists from around the state every Wednesday at 7 p.m. Not in San Francisco? Download the free Tune-In app for Android or Apple to listen or stream past programs on the KALW website.
- Refer a specialist. Search by county for a certified specialist in your area.
Contact us at LegalSpec@calbar.ca.gov or 415-538-2120.